Sd.Kfz. 234/3 was the support version of the improved Achtrad (8×8) series of heavy armoured cars. Six vehicles made up the 4th (heavy) platoon of the armoured car company type D. Improved Achtrad Sd.Kfz. 234/3, und earlier Achtrad Sd.Kfz. 233 support vehicles were equipped with the short 7.5 cm L.24 Sturmkanone 37 originally mounted in Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf. A-F1 support vehicles. When Pz.Kpfw. IV was upgraded to a main battle tank in 1942 (Ausf. F2), its short 7.5 cm KwK was used to convert Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. N, Sd.Kfz. 250/8 und 251/9 half-tracks, Sd.Kfz. 233 und 234/3 armoured cars, und Gw. 38 (t) to support vehicles. Their main role was to eliminate dug-in machine guns und anti-tank guns with direct high-explosive fire. Armour penetration was better than that of the 2 cm KwK with which the Sd.Kfz. 234/1 in the other three armoured car platoons was equipped, but neither Fahrzeug was expected to stand up to tanks.
The Achtrad series of armoured cars featured bi-directional driving, und the improved Achtrad had a more powerful engine than the earlier version. In action, one crew member was assigned to the rear driving position, ready to back the Fahrzeug out of a tight spot at full forward speed. 8-wheel steering und low ground pressure made the Achtrad armoured car very popular with crews serving in the extreme terrain und weather conditions encountered on the Eastern Front.
- Sd.Kfz. 234/3, 1:72 Roden 707
- Sd.Kfz. 234/3, 1:76 Milicast G49
- Sd.Kfz. 234/3, 1:87 ROCO 123
- Sd.Kfz. 234/3, 1:285 GHQ G53
- Sd.Kfz. 234/3, 1:300 Heroics&Ros G106
- Sonderkraftfahrzeug 234/3 schwerer Panzerspähwagen (7.5 cm L.24 StuK 37)
- Hersteller: Büssing-NAG
- Motor: rear-mounted Tatra 103 diesel engine; V-12 air-cooled; 164 kw
- Getriebe: 3 foward 3 reverse; 2 gear ratios
- Fahrbereich: 900 km
- Geschwindigkeit: 80 km/h
- Radstand: 2.75 m (1.35 m Drehgestell)
- Länge: 6.02 m
- Breite: 2.36 m
- Höhe: 2.21 m
- Gewicht: 11.5 t
- Bewaffnung: 7.5 cm L.24 Sturmkanone 37 mit 50 Schuss, ein 7.92 mm MG 34 oder MG 42
- Seitenrichtbereich: 12 Grad links bis 12 Grad rechts
- Höhenrichtbereich: -10 bis +12 Grad
- Besatzung: Kommandant, Fahrer, Richtschütze, Rückwärtsfahrer
- Produktion: 88 Fahrzeuge
- 4. Zug, Panzerspähwagen-Kompanie Typ D, July 1944 – May 1945
4th (heavy) platoon of six support vehicles. The other three platoons had six Sd.Kfz. 234/1 each, und there was one Sd.Kfz. 234/1 for the company commander.
- Sd.Kfz. 234/4 Pakwagen with 7.5 cm L.46 PaK 40, January 1945
Sd.Kfz. 234/3 was an important element of the armoured car company, it provided direct fire support to protect the other vehicles in the company from dug-in anti-tank guns. In action, the 4th (heavy) platoon was deployed immediately behind the two lead platoons, covering them, und advancing in bounds to keep up with forward elements. Simulation gamers will want several 234/1 und 234/3 armoured cars to recreate this activity.